Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question for ELLA?
Maybe it's already been answered!
Have a question for ELLA? Maybe it’s already been answered!
Check the list below and, if it’s not, please feel free to send us a message.
Memberships cost $25 per year. Click Buy a Membership then “$25 Add to Cart” and scroll up and look at the top right hand corner to find the Shopping Cart. You will see the amount of $25. Click on the $25 and complete the purchase.
The ELLA Spring Session 2023 takes place on the University of Alberta Main Campus from May 1 to May 19, 2023. Classes run everyday, Monday to Friday, between 9:15 am and 15:30 pm. There are four one-hour instruction periods during the day with a break in the middle for lunch. Registrants can choose up to four courses from a list of 46 classes. All classes are in person.
All classes, with the exception of one, take place in the Education Centre, North or South located between 87 and 89 avenues and 114 and 112 Streets.
One Physical Education class takes place in the Van Vliet complex west of 114 street, near the Butterdome.
The pricing structure is based on 4 periods per day. Art instruction classes are 2 periods (morning or afternoon) and all other classes, referred to as ‘regular’, are 1 period.
$220 – is the cost of up to two periods. (i.e. one art instruction class, or 1 or 2 regular classes). This is the minimum price.
$300 – is the cost of three periods. (i.e. one art instruction class plus one regular class, or 3 regular classes).
$360 – is the cost of four periods. (i.e. one art instruction class plus two regular classes or 4 regular classes).
The system automatically alters the price as you add or remove classes.
- Click Learn for Life or Membership and then click Bundle Builder.
- Courses are listed in timetable format by period. You can choose one class per period.
- Courses are green if they are available. When you select a course to add to your bundle, that course turns orange and all the other courses in that time slot or slots, if you choose an art instruction course, will turn gray, meaning they can not be selected.
- To select a course, click on it. A pop-up will open. You can click More Details or Add to My Bundle.
- More Details will take you to a new page which provides details of the course.
- Return to the Bundle Builder tab to add the course to your bundle, or click the X in the upper right corner of the pop-up to close.
- Once you have selected your courses, scroll down to Step 2, where your classes will be listed.
- To change a class, scroll up, click on the class to change, click Remove from My Bundle, and make your next selection.
- When you are ready to pay, click Add My Bundle to the Cart.
- Your Cart will open and the price of the bundle will appear. To change classes: Click here to head back to the bundle builder and remove or add your classes.
- Once you are satisfied with your cart, click Proceed to Checkout. Most of your personal information will be pre-filled from your membership account. Complete your payment information and check out.
- Note: it can happen that while you are in this process, one of your selected courses may become unselectable (i.e. it was sold out). In this situation, follow the instructions on the screen, or delete the bundle builder from your cart, by clicking on the X beside it, and start over.
Send a request via the Contact Form or email [email protected] before April 24 @ 2:00 p.m. Additional charges or a refund may be in order based on the pricing structure.
If you registered for 2 regular courses and now want to add a third regular course, you would pay an additional $80 (from $220 to $300.) If you add an art instruction course, you would pay an additional $140, as an art course takes you from two to four periods or $220 to $360.
If you registered for a full day of four periods and want to reduce it to 2 periods, you will receive a refund of $140 (from $360 to $220).
If you registered for one regular course and want to add another regular course, no further payment is required.
If you registered in two regular courses and want to withdraw from one, you will not receive a refund as the minimum payment is $220.
April 24 @ 2:00 p.m. is the last day to make changes prior to the start of Spring Session. Contact the office using the Contact Form or email [email protected].
To make a change during Spring Session visit the Information Table located in the hallway north of the cafeteria on the main floor on Wednesday, May 3 between 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. or Thursday, May 4 between 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Changes are dependent on space available.
To withdraw from Spring Session, please send an email to [email protected]. The deadline to withdraw is April 26 @ 2:00 p.m. You will receive a refund less an administration charge of $75.
To find course materials and resources, go to My account, scroll down to Your Courses and click on the title of your course.
ELLA submits a member list to U of Alberta Parking Services to allow members to purchase a parking permit for Spring Session. The cost for Spring Session 2023 is $90.
Scroll down and choose Get Permits from the menu.
If you have a CCID choose UAlberta Login.
There are two ways. Either –
By email: An email with the Zoom link will be sent out to all Active Members.
By website: go to MY ACCOUNT, scroll down to Noon Hour Presentations and click the green Zoom Link button. To find any materials posted by the presenters, click on the title of the presentation.
24 hours before the start of your course you will receive a ZOOM invitation by email that includes a link to join the class. Look for the part that says: Join Zoom Meeting. Click on that.
Here are some helpful links:
Zoom Basics for Seniors ► Basic Guide
Attending an Online Lecture ► Setup for Zoom from Home
Videoconferencing Tips ► One Page Summary
Go to your Account Info page. Change your email address to the new email address. Ensure that you have not made a typing error. Select the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page. You will receive an email confirming your email change.
If you do not receive a confirmation message to your new email address, then you have entered an invalid email address. In this case, use the CONTACT US form or send an email to [email protected].
Not all courses have a waitlist. To check if your course does, select the course that is SOLD OUT, scroll down and there will be a box that you can check to put yourself on the wait list.
If you are a member and you discover that you are not receiving ELLA newsletters, please Login to ELLA, go to My Account then scroll down to Other Links (left side) and click on Newsletters.
Click VIEW CART or the SHOPPING CART icon at the top right of your screen to open your Cart. The courses you have selected will be listed under Product. Click the X to the left of the Course Photo and Course Name to delete it before you Checkout. The course will remain in the shopping cart until you delete it, or the course expires.
In CHECKOUT, your contact information is auto filled. Do not enter your credit card details. Click on the SHOPPING CART icon at the top right of your screen to return to CART. Your selected courses are listed under PRODUCT. To withdraw, click on the X to the left of your Course and the cost will be deleted from Checkout.